Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How Tuesday- Tortilla Bowls

I admit I am addicted to the Food Network.  But the cooking programs I love are really only on during the day and I am not home.  So when I am home alone on a Saturday morning, the first thing I do is turn on the Food Network.  While I do my laundry, catch up on blogs and make herb products, in the background are shows like Cooking like a Restaurant Chef, Pioneer Woman and Ina Garten or Giada.  I am not always watching every moment, but if they say the word “herb” they have my undivided attention.

The commercials recently have focused on this tool for making tortilla bowls.  I thought that was a great idea, but so limited and in my tiny kitchen if it does not multitask it is not allowed in.  Then one day on Pinterest I saw a photo of someone making these with the back side of a muffin tin.  Now that is what I needed.  Fun food -- No new kitchen tools! 

These are easy to make and fun to eay and not nearly as grerasy as a fried one at a restuant will be!
Here is what I figured out.

You need:
Tortillas
A muffin tin tray (an 18 or 12 cup pan would be better than a 6)
Cooking oil spray






Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Make sure the tortillas are at room temperature.  Cold tortillas do not form well.  

Spray the backs of the muffin tins with canola oil or spread canola oil with your fingers over the back of the tins.

Press a tortilla into the spaces between the upraised cups so that it forms a flower. 

Place the pan in the oven and bake for 8 minutes, checking after 6.

Once the tortilla is golden brown at the edges remove it from the oven. Allow to cool in the pan before you take it off and finish cooling on a towel.  The pan can be reused with out re-oiling to make a number of bowls.

Now you can fill it with salad topped with taco meat, salsa dip for an appetizer or a salad with seasoned chicken.

Here is what I made for my tortilla bowls:

Fiesta Seasoned Chicken Salad

1 lb. boneless chicken breast, sliced
1 T. oil
4 cups mixed salad greens
½ shredded cheese
1 cup salsa prepared with Backyard Patch Salsa Mix
Prepared tortilla bowls

Cook chicken slices in oil with Backyard Patch Fiesta Dip Mix on high for about 8 minutes or until cooked through.  Toss cooked chicken with salad greens, salsa, and cheese.  Stir in Ranch Dressing.  Spoon into tortilla bowls and serve immediately. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...