April Recipe of the Month
My favorite Chicken Salad is from a local restaurant chain called Egg Harbor Café with locations in Wisconsin, Illinois and Georgia. Their chicken salad has cranberries, candied walnuts and seasonal fruit. Right now that is usually apples and strawberries. The amazing salad is served over spring greens with a side of poppy seed dressing. This recipe for Spring Chicken Salad season is my take on that amazing salad.
Spring Chicken Salad
- 1 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Half of a leftover chicken or 3 chicken breasts cooked, skinned and shredded or diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
- 2 peeled and thinly sliced Golden Delicious apples
- 3 to 4 thinly sliced and diced celery stalks
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 5 to 7 sliced strawberries
In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper. Shred or dice chicken, and add to dressing. Add apples, cranberries, celery and onion.
Serve over a bed of mixed spring greens and top with walnuts and apple and strawberry slices with a side of poppy seed dressing.