- Cleanliness is essential. Wash all your utensils, bottle and containers with hot soapy water.
- Use non-reactive containers for the steeping process, glass, plastic, porcelain and enamel coated steel with tight fitting non-reactive lids.
- Freshly picked herbs yield the best results. I pick mine in the morning before the sun leaches the essential oil, rinse them and let them air dry while I prepare the bottles and jars.
- Steep your vinegar away from sunlight as the flavors are best maintained this way.
- Always be sure your herbs are completely covered with vinegar to avoid mold growth.
- Herb vinegars generally do not spoil, but they will lose their unique herbal character about 18 months after rebottling.
Basil Summer SaladThis is a great way to enjoy your fresh basil from the garden. You can use a basil vinegar as well as the one recommended.Slice fresh tomatoes from the garden.Top each tomato slice with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese.Top that with a basil leaf.Drizzle with chive blossom vinegar or thyme vinegar and good olive oil.
3/4 cup catsup
1/4 cup lemon herb vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped dried onion
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup water
4 chicken breasts