No Meat Monday Recipe - Garlic PastaChas and I were working on pasta sauce and canning tomatoes recently and got involved in a discussion about No Meat Pasta dishes (I like meat in may pasta and he prefers vegetarian.) After a while we ended up experimenting with this recipe I found in Cooking Light magazine from April 2004.
I felt it was perfect to share as the herbs and vegetables to make it are perfectly in season right now, so you can try it out.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups chopped plum tomatoes (about 2 pounds) (You can use two cans diced if you don't have fresh)
- 6 cups hot cooked campanella (about 12 ounces uncooked pasta) we actually used Ziti
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add chopped tomatoes; cook for 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Add pasta, basil, cheese, salt, and pepper, tossing gently to combine.