- Cleanliness is essential. Wash all your utensils, bottle and containers with hot soapy water.
- Use non-reactive containers for the steeping process, glass, plastic, porcelain and enamel coated steel with tight fitting non-reactive lids.
- Freshly picked herbs yield the best results. I pick mine in the morning before the sun leaches the essential oil, rinse them and let them air dry while I prepare the bottles and jars.
- Steep your vinegar away from sunlight as the flavors are best maintained this way.
- Always be sure your herbs are completely covered with vinegar to avoid mold growth.
- Herb vinegars generally do not spoil, but they will lose their unique herbal character about 18 months after rebottling.
Basil Summer Salad
This is a great way to enjoy your fresh basil from the garden. You can use a basil vinegar as well as the one recomended.
Slice fresh tomatoes from the garden.
Top each tomato slice with a slice of fresh mozzarella cheese.
Top that with a basil leaf.
Drizzle with chive blossom vinegar or thyme vinegar and good olive oil.
Makes a delicious summer salad.
- 3/4 cup catsup
- 1/4 cup lemon herb vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried onion
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 chicken breasts