Wednesday, September 7, 2022

Harvesting the herbs in the time of Virgo

I am a Virgo and this time of year I look up herbs for the Virgo to see what pops up on Google.  This year I found this great website with herbs and magick that is just so interesting.  I recommend taking a look.

The blog post was written by Alexis Cummingfolk and what I found as I searched around the site was a folksy conversation about herbs that was refreshing to read and wonderfully informative.

http://www.wortsandcunning.com/

What I loved about the post I found first, that caused me to want to look around more, was a list of seasonal reflections.  This list of questions caused me to pause and access, which I believe was the whole purpose.  I sometimes do not do that on a daily basis like I should and when I am coaxed to do so, I take it as a universal sign to get into alignment.

Here are the questions that she posted and here is the actual post I am referring too. 

Blog — Worts + Cunning Apothecary | Intersectional Herbalism + Magickal Arts (wortsandcunning.com)

http://www.wortsandcunning.com/blog?category=astroherbology

I have included my answers to the first question and I suggest you try this exercise for yourself…

What does the land feel like, look like, smell like this season?

What is coming to the surface from within me?

What is receding within me?

What am I feeling grateful for?

What am I grieving for or feeling challenged by?

What am I feeling inspired and where is it calling me to this season?

What am I calling to me?

What am I called to give?

 

What does the land feel like, look like, smell like this season?

 


I was out in the herb garden, so the wind was coming from the northeast across the forest preserve into the herb garden bringing with it the smell of water and trees that mingled with the scent of the herbs stimulated by the bright sun and the stiff breeze.  All the herbs are tall, at least those I have not yet cut, because of the recent rain they all had a growth spurt.

When I walk down the rows I brush my fingers over the herbs to release the scents and give my fingers a lovely perfume.  Harvesting is my favorite herb activity.  I get to touch the herbs, feel the softness or stiffness of the leaves and enjoy the buzz of the pollinators, who I do disturb with my cutting.  The heat in the drying shed is intense and I sweat a lot as I bundle and hang the herbs.  But the frequent and day-long sun means I can harvest even more in a couple days as the cut branches dry quickly.

The herbs wave in a natural and soothing way in the wind.  It looks like an undulating blanket when you gaze at the lemon balm clumps or the tall tarragon that flops over this time of year from its own weight.  The sage wiggles because the stiff woody stems don’t really bend much while the lavender waves back and forth allowing me to see the difference between lavender and rosemary because the rosemary tends to stand still in a breeze, while the softer stem of lavender moves like a dancer. From a distance, the long needle-shaped leaves look similar until there is a wind.

Lavender in flower

Lavender

Summer savory close up

Summer Savory

I harvested the annuals today because their life is short now and they want to make seed, so I cut them strongly.  The basil was at its licorice best today and the purple basil was especially pungent.  I know vinegar making is in my future. The holy basil crop is a bit sparse this year.  The earwigs enjoyed it more than any other herb in the garden. Then the soap mixture I sprayed it with caused the sun to fry the leaves that were not eaten. However, my thyme plants are very happy and the scent is strong even in the heat of the day which makes my nose sing.  I also harvested the summer savory.  It gets spindly this time of year, but the leaves are plentiful and the flavor is finally reaching its apex.  I chew on a branch of it to keep me from being thirsty. 

Lemon verbena stems wrapped in paper towel
Lemon Verbena

I finished my day by harvesting lemon verbena.  I cannot bring into the house all the plants I grow so this tender perennial will die away in the cold Illinois winter, but for now it’s heady with the scent of lemon and the leaves are large and bright green and asking to be stroked to release the fragrance, which I oblige.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...