Wednesday, May 11, 2022

New Feature - Monthly Herb Tea Crafting Ideas

I have a boat and a garage and a house full of tea recipes.  Some I learned, some I crafted from scratch some I created by accident. I share them regularly on the blog (you can find them by searching Tea Recipes on the blog) but I thought it might be nice to be more organized about it and share some tea creating ideas every month. These will include recipes for tea, recipes for items to serve with tea and highlights on herbs to grow for making tea. 

I started my first herb garden in 1992, because I love herb tea.  However I wanted my herb (caffeine-free) tea to be as nuanced in flavors as the black teas I also enjoy, like Earl Grey with a hint of orange from bergamot oil, or Assam Tea which has a chocolaty finish to go with the malty strong flavor. What was available in the stores were generally single herb teas like peppermint or chamomile and those were not subtle. So I began experimenting with herbs and their flavors and creating combinations.  

Raised bed herb garden with bird bath and purple blooming chives

I started with two-herb combos like Lemon balm and Lavender (now called Lemon Lavender Splash and made with multiple lemon herbs) or Lemon balm and peppermint (called Lemon Peppermint and made in the winter because of its throat-soothing properties.) Then I moved to three and four herb combinations like Dreamtime (chamomile, lavender and catnip,) Headache Relief  a combo of lavender, rosemary and thyme and Nerve Soothing (sage, thyme, marjoram, chamomile, because you can be soothing without lavender.)

tilted tea cup spilling out dry herb tea blend nerve soothing

Once I gained confidence in my blending skills, I began making multi-herb blends like my popular hot and iced tea called Calming Spirit named so because it is made with relaxing herbs of spearmint, lavender, chamomile, rosemary and cloves for color. Now I can create a tea with any number of herbs and spices and enjoy a side hustle of custom tea blends for groups, events and weddings.  If you have questions about herbs for your tea, please ask in the comments down below.

There are many recipes I have made or adapted to try at home, use in cocktails and tryout for programs so I thought I would share some of these experiments and perhaps a few of my commercial failures with you and let you judge them for yourself. And since herbs are best with shortbread and scones, I will share a few of those recipes along the way as well.

As it is May I decided to start with an iced teas, you can then enjoy a cooling blend as summer heats up. Although as I write this is is not yet very warm, I am hopeful that by publication it will be warm enough outdoors for you to enjoy these recipes on your porch or deck.

Tea Idea to Start

Lemon Verbena-Apple Mint Tea
Nothing is more refreshing in the summer than lemon verbena iced tea, and a hint of apple and mint adds a twist.

1 cup fresh lemon verbena leaves, loosely packed
½ cup fresh apple mint leaves, loosely packed
2 quarts water

Bring water to a boil.  Turn off water and add the herbs, bruising them slightly.  Cover pot and let sit for 10 minutes.  Strain out herbs, allow to cool and add ice.

Another Tea Idea

Now if you do not bring in your lemon verbena plants for winter like I do , you might not have any of that herb just yet, so here is a recipe you can make with kitchen herbs, or those you can gather at the grocery. I shared this years ago in my herbal newsletter - which is now called the Good Thymes....

Nippy Iced Tea  

  • 5-6 stems catnip
  • 4-5 stems peppermint
  • 4-5 stems lemon balm
  • A bit of sage 1-2 leaves

Because you are dealing with stems of herbs, place the stems in a roaster pan pour boiling water of them and let steep 20 to 30 minutes.  Chill and serve over ice with a splash of fresh cool water. Start with one quart of water and if it is too strong add another quart.  Allow to cool then serve with ice.  The mint is cooling and refreshing while the lemon balm is uplifting.  The catnip and sage will help with allergies too!

Stop back next month for more tea ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...