Friday, August 3, 2012

Weekend Recipe - Beet Gratin with Gruyère and Thyme

Beet Gratin with Gruyère and Thyme

When I was at the farmers market last Wednesday, there was someone surprised and intrigued by the many colors of beets.  Her curiosity made me buy several colors.  All I had ever done previously was pickle them, so when I went home that day and found this recipe I had to try it .

I prepared this recipe in individual ramekins. A gratin dish will also work for family style serving. Red beets, golden beets or a combination may be used.

Unsalted butter
4 medium-sized red beets, peeled (I used 2 golden and 2 red)
Extra virgin olive oil
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, finely grated
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
Ground nutmeg
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper


Preheat oven to 350 F. (180 C.) Butter 4 ramekins. Thinly slice beets with a mandolin. Arrange one layer of sliced beets in each ramekin (one slice may fit perfectly.) Lightly brush with olive oil. Sprinkle with cheese, a little thyme and a pinch of nutmeg. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat layering process until ramekins are full, pressing down lightly. Bake in oven until gratins are bubbling, cheese is golden and beets are tender, about 45 minutes. Serve warm with fresh thyme sprigs as garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...