1/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest (about one lemon)
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a large mixing bowl, measure the sugar and blend in the lemon zest. Work the zest into the sugar with your fingers until the entire mixture becomes aromatic.
- Then whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Cut in the butter.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, cream, and egg.
- Stir egg mixture into dry ingredients, just until a dough starts to form. Knead a couple times until the dough holds together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently press dough into a circle, about an inch thick.
- Cut into 8 to 10 wedges.
- Place scones on an ungreased baking sheet, not touching each other, and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and let rest on the sheet for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the icing by mixing the powdered sugar with enough lemon juice to make a drizzling consistency.
- Place scones on a wire rack. Drizzle or brush icing over warm scones.
Lemon Herbal Tea
This is a kin to my popular herb tea Zesty Lemon, featuring fun lemon herbs.
1 Tbls. Lemon Balm or Lemon Verbena
1 Tbls. lemon peel
1/2 Tbls. lemon grass
Use 2 tsp. per cup of water and let steep for 5 to 8 minutes. The tea will be very light in color, but the flavor will be great!
You might also like to see the Lemon Poppy Seed Cake that we posted back in December 2012.