Saturday, July 25, 2020

Salad Burnet Egg Salad - Weekend Recipe

I am on the quest for the best egg salad sandwich.  I will try one at a deli or lunch counter if given the option every time.  This amuses my friends because I cannot eat fried or scrambled eggs at a restaurant under any circumstances.  Every time I try it I regret it.  The only person who can cook me eggs for breakfast is my husband.  I blame it on my years working morning shift at a truck stop in high school, but whatever the cause I focus my attention on egg salad.  


I collect recipes for egg salad and deviled eggs which you can turn into egg salad too.  I recommend Alton Brown's 4 pepper deviled eggs if you want to try it.  As for egg salad recipes, this is my current favorite. I shared it a few years ago on my website as the recipe of the month.  It features salad burnet which is an evergreen herb that I grow from seed.  It likes shade and dry conditions so I have placed it in the side yard as an edge plant.  The tender leaves taste like cucumber and are perfect in egg salad.

Egg Salad with Salad Burnet

To make a hearty sandwich serve this egg salad on fresh slices of whole wheat herb bread.

12 eggs
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup plain yogurt
2 Tbls fresh salad burnet, chopped fine
1 Tbls fresh thyme or lemon thyme, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Place the eggs in a large pan, fill the pan with water and place it on the stove on high heat. When the water comes to a boil turn the heat down to medium and cook the eggs for an additional 12 minutes. 

Remove the pan from the stove, drain the water and run cold water over the eggs until they have cooled down. Remove the shells from the eggs and chop them up.  Then place them in a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Serve this salad with assorted breads and crackers if desired.




RECIPE THEME
Each month a theme is chosen and a number of recipes on that theme from my massive archive will be shared.  This year we have 12 new topics, different from the topics of last year.  To find the recipes of last year, check out this recipe link or search the blog with the topic Recipe2018, or Recipe2019 

You can search the monthly theme by looking for the theme keyword in the search box and it will pull up the recipes on that theme as posted, so look at the bottom of the recipe in each posting for the KEYWORD in the () to search for each  month.  All recipes this year will be tagged Recipe2020 so you can find them all.


The themes are:

Feb 2020 - Footbal Tailgate Favorites (AppFeb)
March 2020 - Kabobs (KabobMar)
April 2020 - Brunch (BrunchApr) more in 2021 also
May 2020 - Non-Traditional Pizza (PizzaMay)
June 2020 - Stir Fry Dishes (StirJun)
July 2020 - Salads with no lettuce (SaladJul)
August 2020 - Pickled things (PickleAug)
September 2020 - Quiche (QuicheSep)
October 2020 - Squash Soups (SquashOct)
November 2020 - Pumpkin (again) (PumpNov)

December 2020 - Turkey Recipes (TurkDec)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...