Monday, August 15, 2016

Plants to Honor Mary

In the Spring I presented a garden theme idea of a Garden of Mary.  Now on the Feast of the Assumption of Mary, which was first celebrated in 529 AD, I thought we could learn a few more plants whose names were changed to Honor Mary.

Our Lady's Herbs


          Spearmint was known as Our Lady's Mint. 

Marjoram was Mother of God's Flower. 



          Bee balm and lemon balm were both called Sweet Mary. 
 
Lemon Balm
Catnip was Mary's Nettle.  

Sage was Mary's shawl. 

Dandelion was known as Mary's Bitter Sorrow.








A group of herbs became known as Manger Herbs because they made a bed for the Infant Jesus when he was born. 
Sweet Woodruff

·        Sweet woodruff and yellow bedstraw were called Our Lady's Bedstraw 
·        creeping thyme was Mary's Bedstraw. 
·        Mints and pennyroyal were also said to have been used in the manger. 








This information came from a hard to locate book entitled Mary’s Flowers: Gardens, Legends & Meditations, by Vincenzina Krymow.

I have never been able to locate this book, but I have read excepts and paraphrases of it from other blogs and articles.  If anyone knows where I can get a copy, please let me know.  My library, normally the best at locating the obscure and rare, has been unable to obtain a copy real or digital.

3 comments:

  1. Great collection. I think the Madonna lily is traditionally one of her flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was well timed as I just finished reading The Birth House by Ami Mckay. A young midwife in this book was learning all about healing from a well experienced midwife who drew about Mary's strength in all her potions and remedies. Very interesting fiction book; you might find the herbal portion of the book very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound like a book I need to read. Thank you very much for suggesting it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...