Saturday, November 3, 2012

Weekend recipe - Savory Muffin Spread

Pineapple Sage is a wonderful fall time herb.  It blooms in the fall with tongue –like red blossoms that are a beautiful to behold.  Just before they begin to flower I harvest a number of leaves and use them to make tea and other food items.  I found a recipe for a muffin spread using Pineapple sage in the Herb companion back in 2007.  I’ve adapted this recipe first created by Rose Kennedy.


Sweet and Savory Muffin Spread
This is good on muffins, especially those made with oats, and on plain or fruit bagels.

1 cup ricotta cheese
1 Tbls. milk
3 Tbls. confectioner’s sugar, or to taste
¼ tsp. ground allspice
4 fresh pineapple sage leaves (or ¼ tsp. dried leaves)
¼ cup crushed pineapple, drained

In a medium bowl, cream ricotta cheese and milk on medium speed with a handheld mixer for 1 minute.  Add sugar 1 Tablespoon at a time, mixing after each addition.  Stir in allspice and pineapple sage.  Refrigerate mixture for 1 hour.  Stir mixture and gently fold in pineapple.  Refrigerate for another hour.  Serve chilled or at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds yummy, Marcy! I was away for the weekend so I missed your recipe. I tried drying my pineapple sage leaves to no avail! (I just thought I would try it again!) I wish I had seen your recipe over the weekend! Well, I will have it for next year. xxoo Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...