Monday, January 23, 2012

Cold and Flu Symptom Teas

As I chugged down another cup of herbal tea trying to soothe the sore throat, cough and congestion I have been fighting with for a week now, I thought what a wonderful idea for a thoughtful gift for someone suffering the same way, but to make them herbal tea. 
Now I have hundreds (that is not an exaggeration) of tea infusers, but many people I know do not.  That was when I stumbled across this great idea.  I found it on Dinah’s Gourmet Gifts.
Cheese cloth tea sachets.  Here are her instructions: 

  • Place a small square of double ply cheese cloth on a flat surface.
  • mound herbal tea blend on one end 
  • tightly roll up the cheese cloth  “sushi style” 
  • bring the open ends to the center of the “sushi roll” 
  • tightly bind in pretty cotton embroidery thread


She even suggested a cardstock label with the ingredients and the healing properties of the herbs included.
This was so cute a picture in my head, when she said you could put them in a glass jar or a cellophane bag, I thought "hey why not a cute tea mug or tea cup…"
Then I realized I was using three different tea blends at home as a remedy for my ills and I could share those with you and you can make tea sachets for yourself or those you care about who are under the weather.


I received this as a gift when I was the volunteer, volunteer coordinator for the PBS station in Indianapolis.  I loved that position and this has become my favorite mug, especially when I am ill!
Soothing Tea
1 part mint
1 part hyssop
1 part oregano
1 part parsley
1 part lemon balm

Place all herbs in a tea ball or bag, put in your nicest or most favorite cup or mug, and cover with boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes. Remember you are feeling ill so pamper yourself.

Floral Flu Symptom Tea
2 parts Calendula
1 part Feverfew
1 part Lavender
1 part lemon balm

Blend the herbs together, then use 2 tsp per cup of just off boiling water and steep for 7 to 10 minutes.  Sweeten with honey if needed.

Bronchial Congestion Tea
1 ½ oz Aniseed
1 oz Calendula flowers
3/4 oz Marshmallow root
1/3 oz Licorice root

Crush aniseeds and add to herbs. Pour 1 cup just off boiling water over 1 tsp. mixture and steep 10 minutes.

I have also been drinking From the Hearth Tea from the Essential Herbal which I recommend as well, it has holy basil, rose hips, lemon grass, and other strengthening herbs.  

Blends from the Backyard Patch that are popular for winter colds include: Winter Remedy, Cure All, Headache Relief, and Work cure.  This last blend has a bit of cayenne which clears the head and makes it easier to stay alert at work.  You can check out all the Herbal Tea with this link.

2 comments:

  1. I love all the information you give in your blog. Flu and cold season is always a tough time of year especially if you have children. Using herbs is the best way to go and they really do work. We just need to change our mindsets I think. Again thank you for your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Corinne! I might actually have my voice back soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...